The Sydney Morning Herald headline screamed: ‘In the dark ages’: Stoush brewing over use of bushfire bunkers.

The story stated that Craig Lapsley succeeded in getting formal safety standards for bunkers during his time as Victorian Emergency Management Commissioner and says his former counterparts at the NSW Rural Fire Service (RFS) remain “dead against them”.

Drew Gordon in his fire bunker in North Warrandyte on Melbourne’s forested fringe. Different rules apply in different states for such shelters.

The RFS looked to Josh Whittaker of the University of Wollongong to explain that people might use them as a first resort. The RFS went on to say that: “Inadequately designed, badly located and poorly maintained private bushfire shelters are extremely dangerous.”.

Well, one could be forgiven for thinking that this would be a good reason to establish the same standards as have already been approved in Victoria.

The Herald then goes on to interview Kangaroo Valley’s Captain Matt Gray, a senior Qantas pilot who also heads the Kangaroo Valley bushfire committee.

Matt Gray

Captain Gray is fighting opposition from the local Shoalhaven Council to install two six-person bunkers – one for his family and one for his prized possessions – on his property south of Sydney.

“Other bunker builders and owners have not hit roadblocks because they have taken the back roads which avoids both the council and RFS,” he said. “NSW has to get out of the dark ages,” Captain Gray said. “This is one of the ways we can [change NSW] by highlighting at a very personal level, what outdated policy and thinking does in perpetuating poor strategic management.”

Lionel Buckett

Notwithstanding the lack of a standard in NSW, Bilpin identity, architect and owner of the Wollemi Cabins had almost finished his 20 person bunker when the fires hit last summer. The bunker was missing the door seals and a proper latch on the door. It still saved his partner Kooryn Sheaves and a friend who were forced to shelter there. They had to hang on to the door and were both OK.

The ABC had previously done a story on Lionel’s bunker when he was building it. Here’s another pic of Lionel at the building stage and this is a link to his beautiful cabins..

One bunker manufacturer to comply with the Victorian code is Wildfire Safety Bunkers, which is owned by Anthony Tratt. Their bunkers have been accredited by the Building Regulations Advisory Committee (BRAC) and they offer a 6 person bunker and a 12 person one.

This is a 12 person bunker being installed.

The complete Sydney Morning Herald story can be read here:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/in-the-dark-ages-stoush-brewing-over-bushfire-bunkers-20200501-p54oxs.html

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Related Posts

  • The Royal Commission is up and running and you can find a link to the Opening and the complete transcrpt in this post. We also review an excellent Sydney Mormning Herald article which quotes VFFA President Mick Holton.

  • 2ST morning show host, Barry Mac talks to VFFA Vice President, Brian Williams about the fire hazard reduction issues at Potato Point.

  • The second in a series of adverts has been published in The Land newspaper (page 32) on Thursday 11th December 2014. The text reads as follows: The Fire Fight over Potato Point Imagine for a minute you're a resident of Potato…

  • Two weeks after Black Saturday, the Prime Minister of Australia was asked in parliament: “My question is to the Prime Minister, and I recognise that he answered part of this to the member for McEwen earlier. My question relates to…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.